New International Version (NIV)
The Ten Commandments
5 Moses summoned all Israel and said:
Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3 It was not with our ancestors[a] that the Lord made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today. 4 The Lord spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain. 5 (At that time I stood between the Lord and you to declare to you the word of the Lord, because you were afraid of the fire and did not go up the mountain.) And he said:
6 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
7 “You shall have no other gods before[b] me.
8 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
11 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
12 “Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.
16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
17 “You shall not murder.
18 “You shall not commit adultery.
19 “You shall not steal.
20 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
21 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor’s house or land, his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
22 These are the commandments the Lord proclaimed in a loud voice to your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire, the cloud and the deep darkness; and he added nothing more. Then he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me.
23 When you heard the voice out of the darkness, while the mountain was ablaze with fire, all the leaders of your tribes and your elders came to me. 24 And you said, “The Lord our God has shown us his glory and his majesty, and we have heard his voice from the fire. Today we have seen that a person can live even if God speaks with them. 25 But now, why should we die? This great fire will consume us, and we will die if we hear the voice of the Lord our God any longer. 26 For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? 27 Go near and listen to all that the Lord our God says. Then tell us whatever the Lord our God tells you. We will listen and obey.”
28 The Lord heard you when you spoke to me, and the Lord said to me, “I have heard what this people said to you. Everything they said was good. 29 Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!
30 “Go, tell them to return to their tents. 31 But you stay here with me so that I may give you all the commands, decrees and laws you are to teach them to follow in the land I am giving them to possess.”
32 So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. 33 Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.
- God gave Moses the 10 commandments for the Israelites. Those commandments are still applicable till date and to everyone. Jesus did not abolish but fulfilled the law. Most of us do not know or remember the 10 commandments in its entirety.
- The 10 commandments are pretty straight forward but I’d like to discuss the first three.
- God commanded us not to have any other god besides Him or any idol. This refers to any man-made object or any thing created by God, including the heavenly bodies and human beings. Note American Idol, Canadian Idol or any other kind of idol portrayed on tv in the name of entertainment is evil and of satan. It idolizes humans and causes people to break this very first commandment without many people even realizing or knowing it. Hosea 4:6New International Version (NIV)
6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.
“Because you have rejected knowledge,I also reject you as my priests;because you have ignored the law of your God,I also will ignore your children.
- Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God: Even though God commands us not to misuse His name, it does not mean that you should not call Jesus when you are in trouble. The name Jesus is very powerful and may sometimes be all you need to say in times of trouble to gain your deliverance. It worked for me and I know for a fact that it will work for you too.
- The sabbath day: Some people argue that saturday is the sabbath while others say it is sunday. Some say that it is impossible to not work on the sabbath day, which ever day it may be. I would like people to note that the sabbath day was created for man and in man’s best interest to “rest”. The most important thing is that you work six days and rest on the seventh day..this is infact God’s command. I doubt God is really interested in the particular day, if so He would have emphasized that. What God emphasized is the fact that ALL living creatures REST on the seventh day. The SEVENTH DAY and REST are the emphasis. Notice Jesus healed on the sabbath day, saying that it is lawful to do good on the sabath day. This tells me that if it is and avoidable task, leave it for another day. Plan your days so that on the seventh day you get to rest; just as you plan not to conduct any personal chores while at work. However, emergencies are emergencies and unavoidable just like healing. Some practical examples of how you can plan your week so that you rest on the seventh day include doing or finalizing all your cooking and shopping on the sixth day, look for jobs that do not require you to work on the seventh day, if that is not possible….trade your shifts, use vacation times and pray to God to help you keep the sabbath day holy.
- When we obey God, we gain supernatural blessings. For the Israelites it was hearing the voice of God, seeing God in the form of fire (as a pillar of fire or burning mountain), seeing God in the form of a pillar of cloud and living to tell the story. For you, it may be something else. See vs. 24. In vs. 29 God even confirms so Himself. See also, vs. 32-33.
You are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions about the passage above. God Bless You :)